- Android Application of Medicinal Plants for Ayurveda Students
- LOHASAVAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- LODHRASAVAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- KUTAJARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- KUMARYASAVAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- KHADIRARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- KANAKASAVAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- JIRAKADYARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- DURALABHARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- DRAKSHARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- DHANWANTARARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- DEVADARVYARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- DASAMULARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- DANTYARISHTAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- CHITRAKASAVAM Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- CHAVIKASAVAM (Gulmachikitsa) Uses,Ingredients,Reference and Indication
- Ayurvedic Treatment for IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- BHAGANDARA (FISTULA-IN-ANO) Treatment Protocol by Ayush
- About Ayurveda
- Downloads (Ayurveda E books )
- AYURVEDIC PATENT MEDICINES
- Ayurveda Treatment For All Common Fever
- CERVICAL SPONDYLOSIS AND ITS AYURVEDIC TREATMENT In Ayurveda Cervical spondylosis is discussed
- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR TONSILLITIS
- Ayurvedic treatment for Dengue Fever
- ManasaMitra Vatakam and its Treatment Application
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS
In Ayurveda Rheumatoid arthritis has been described as Amavata.
In which ever organ Amavata is present in the body severe pain occurs in that
Organ.It mainly causes pain in small as well as big bones of the body.
1. Incompatible food and habits.
2. Poor digesting capacity
3. Lack of physical activities
4. No exercise
5. Diet including fats in excess.
6. Contaminated water
CLASSIFICATION OF AMAVATA (Rheumatoid arthritis)
In this condition vata is predominant and pain is severe.
In this condition pitta is predominant and buring sensation in effected joints and redness occurs.
In this condition kapha is predominant and loss of movement of joints and itching is present.
SIGN & SYMPTOMS OF AMAVATA (RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS)
1. Pain all over the body
2. Loss of taste
4. Lack of enthusiasm
8. Swelling of body parts.
In Ayurveda following are the lines of treatment in Amavata(Rheumatoid arthritis):
2. Sodhan chikitsa(Purification of the body)
3. Shaman chikitsa (Treatment for subsiding the symptoms)
1. Swedan (Fomentation)
2. Katu-tikta-deepan-bitter medicines for promoting digestive power
3. Virechan (Purgatives)
4. Snehpana(Ingestion of uncoutous substances)
5. Basti (Enema).
6. Dry fomentation using sands like dry substances
7. Upanaha(Loal application of unctuous substances)
1. Mild purgatives, which digest ama also such as eranda saneha,drugs like gandharva haritki can be given.
2. Basti or enema shoulb be given –kshar basti such as vaitarna basti.
2. Swedanum(Fomentation)-local hot fomentation using sand etc
1. Decoctrion of rasna,guduchi,erandamula,devdaru, nagar known as rasnapanchak kwatha.
2. Decoction of panchkol
3. Dashmool kwatha with eranda taila.
4. Panchkool churna with luke warm water.
5. Shunthi choorna with kanji as anupama.
Commonly used drugs
Choorna(Mixture of grinded herbs)
1. Vaishvanar choorna
2. Alambhusha churna
3. Ajamodadi choorna
4. Hingwadi choorna
5. Shatapushpadya choorna
1. Aganitundi vati
2. Aamvatari vati
3. Chitrakadi vati
4. Rason vati
1. Sihnaad guggulu
2. Yograj guggulu
3. Vatari guggulu
4. Trayodasahang guggulu
1. Shunthi ghrita
2. Vijay bhairav taila
3. Brihat saindhavadya taila
4. Prasarani taila
1. Shatapushpadi lepa
2. Ahimstradi lepa
1. Amavatari rasa
2. Amavatari vatika
3. Amavatadi vajra rasa
1. Trifaladi lauha
2. Panchanan rasa lauha
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a Joint Disorder, which affects Multiple Joints at various sites. It is described as “Amavata” in Ayurveda. The word ‘Ama’ means Toxic material generated as a un wholesome product in the body due to weakening of digestive fire. This ‘Ama’ is then carried by ‘Vayu’ and travels throughout the body and accumulates in the joints, which is the seat of ‘Kapha’. As this process continuous, all the Joints are gradually affected, which results in Severe Pain and Swelling in the Joints. When ‘Pitta’ also gets aggravated, it causes Burning Sensation around the Joints.
General Clinical Features:
“Angamardaaruchistrushna alasyam gouravam jwara!
Apaka sunyatanganam amavathasya lakshnam!!”
· Body Pains
· Lack of Taste
· General Weakness
· Feeling of Heaviness
· Morning stiffness of the Joints
· Pain and swelling in the affected parts
· Shifting of pain in Joints
Ayurvedic Management of Amavata:
a. Ahara Chikitsa or Dietary regimen:
One should take Old Rice, Butter Milk, Wet Ginger, Garlic, Wheat, Bitter gourd and Horse Gram in his diet. Avoid consumption of Dairy products, Sweets, Oily foods, Chinese Food, Junk and Fast Foods, Salty and Sour Foods, Jaggery, Black Gram, Fish, Cold Drinks and Ice Creams.
b. Vihara Chikitsa or Life Style Modifications:
One should avoid Cold Breeze and Excessive Wind. Bathing with cold water should be strictly avoided. Warm water bath is recommended. It is also advisable to take a gentle walk after consumption of food. Also it is good to avoid water intake immediately after consuming food.
c. Aushadha Chikitsa or Drug Therapy:
‘Guggulu’ is the most effective drug in treating ‘Amavata’. Also herbal preparations of Ashwagandha, Haritaki, Rasna, Sunthi, Pippai and Trivrut are helpful in ‘Amavata’. Administration of caster oil is also very effective in this disease. The mentioned drugs should be taken only after consulting a Qualified Ayurvedic Physician.
d. Panchakarma Chikitsa or Detoxification Procedures:
This is a purification procedure. By taking this Therapy Toxins are eliminated from the body. The course is as follows:
Internal and external oleation to the body / affected parts is given as a preliminary process.
This is done by application of steam on the affected parts. It helps in reducing inflammatory conditions in the body. Especially in ‘Amavata’ fomentation with sand bag is recommended. Sankara Sweda is also very helpful. In chronic cases Shali shasthika pinda sweda is recommended.
3. Virechana Karma:
It is a type of Purgation which is induced by oral intake or herbal compound preparations. By the process of Virechana, the ‘Ama’ is eliminated from the body. Also the bowel is cleansed, which results in proper absorption and assimilation of the medicinal preparations properly.
4. Vasthi karma:
This is done by administration of herbal enema. It is helpful in chronic cases. Kashaya Vasthi, Anuvasana Vasthi and Matra Vasthi etc are planned according to the Patient’s requirement and necessity.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Amavata lasts for 14 to 28 days depending upon the severity of the disease, patient’s Constitution (Prakruthi). We at THE KERALA AYURVEDIC CARE, Speciality Panchakarma Centre, 3-6-101/1, St no: 19, Basheerbagh, Hyderabad-29 have Treated Thousands of Patients with 99% results. Speciality Treatments are being done from the past 9 Years. For the Services in the field of Ayurveda, Dr. Kranthi Vardhan, the Chief Physician & the Managing Director, has been awarded “KKRUSHI RATNA AWARD”, “AYURVEDA TAPASWI AWARD”, and “VAIDYA RATNA AWARD”.
Care of Joints in ‘Amavata’
1. Physical activities causing pain in the joints should be avoided.
2. Staying in one position for too long should be avoided.
3. Good posture of the Joints should be maintained.
4. One should sleep on a firm mattress or bed.
5. Weight should be controlled as excess of weight adds stress to the joints.
6. Exercise is very important to keep the joints in working condition.
It is always better to take Preventive Measures before a disease affects us. In order to prevent ‘Amavata’ care should be taken to avoid Sedentary Habits. Also one should perform Daily Exercises or Yoga. One should also avoid Heavy, Viscous and Incompatible foods. Instead one should take High-fibre and Low Fat Diet. Care should also be taken to keep our Digestive Fire intact, as the case of all diseases is the weakening of digestive fire.
Suggested diet and life style to treat Rheumatoid arthritis are :
Do mild weight bearing exercises regularly as they improve bone density. When certain yogasanas are done with rythming breathing techniques they increase the tissue building and improves the strengthening and stretching of the muscles around the points. Not to climb stairs or bend or squat. Walking a little distance may help. Biking, swimming or aerobic dances helps to improve the bone condition. Avoid alcohols, cigarettes, carbonated beverages. Take food that is rich in calcium like cheese, orange juice, leafy vegetables. Cereals etc. Drink milk regularly as it has vitamin D content in it. Take a lot of vitamin K rich foods such as lettuce, spinach, Brussels sprouts etc., Take care to consume only freshly cooked warm food and take hot soups of lentils, pulses and meat with ginger, black pepper and long pepper powdered sprinkled to it.. It is essential to include a moderate amount of ghee and oil in diet as it lubricates the joints. Avoid taking food that are sour, spicy, deed fried, oily, pungent, acid, dark poultry, refined sugar, femented food and also lessen the intake of salts. Also follow some basic rules of not eating wrong combination of foods, eat only up to your limit, Strictly follow the timings of your eating and do not eat in between the meals.
A modified diet and good lifestyle along with ayurvedic medicines and panchkarma will yield a great result in treating Rheumatoid arthritis.
OTHER AYURVEDIC MEDICINES